Go Back   HuntSeek Forums > Guns & Knives > Knives

Old Sun May 29th,2005, 10:47 PM   #1
Evan
Guide
So Great and Old I'm grey

Evan will become famous soon enoughEvan will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Evan
Default best steel in a

kinda curious what some consider to be the best steel. im not any kind of exspert and wont claim to be.

ive got knives with 440 and ats-34 steel. ive got two with ats 34 but i havent hardly used them so i cant make comparision.

the ones i do use are. well i just went to get them but thyre in the truck and its not here.

do have the ats-34 knives and im curious about the marking on the blade. they are both buck knives. on the right side of the blade theyre marked.

BOS
ATS-34
USA

im curious what the BOS is, these initials arent on 440 knives atleast i don think
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon May 30th,2005, 03:25 PM   #2
Mossyhorns

Mossyhorns is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Mossyhorns
Default best steel in a

I got to checkin into this Evan,Heres what i found

ATS-34 - A proprietary product of Hitachi Steel Company, ATS-34 is a very high carbon stainless steel with the addition of Molybdenum. Because ATS-34 provides better edge retention than standard cutlery (stainless) steels, it is a good choice for blades that require heavier cutting applications. Very good edge holding ability
High initial sharpness
Rockwell Rc 60-61
Good toughness when double tempered
Fair corrosion resistance
Less expensive than BG-42 and S30V

Carbon Silicon Chromium Molybdenum
1.05 .35 13.50 - 14.00 4.0
Old Mon May 30th,2005, 03:29 PM   #3
Mossyhorns

Mossyhorns is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Mossyhorns
Default best steel in a

Buck Tech PageHere's the site page i got it from you can look it over yourself just skroll down on the page and it has all the steels buck uses
Old Tue May 31st,2005, 11:15 PM   #4
Evan
Guide

Default best steel in a

what about D-2 steel? you see this in some of the knives of alaska knives. ive been lookin into to getn one of the knives of alaska kits. and maybe not pack the buck knives except for the gut hook hunting.

ive got a folding buck gut hook that i like alot. i used it to feild gut a kids deer that i took hunting. that gut hook worked slicker than snot and. got the cut started and spilt the hide right to ribs and the guts literaly fell out.

that knife is about the only buck that ive feild tested. i have the same knife but fixed with no gut hook riding in the water truck as my utility knife. latly ive been useing it to pry spent cases out of the 10/22s chamber when it doesnt eject them.

D-2 yeah thats what i was asking about

Evan
Old Thu November 3rd,2005, 10:45 PM   #5
Jerry
Great White Hunter

Jerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Jerry Send a message via AIM to Jerry Send a message via Yahoo to Jerry Send a message via Skype™ to Jerry
Default Re: best steel in a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan
latly ive been useing it to pry spent cases out of the 10/22s chamber when it doesnt eject them.
Let's always use tools for thier proper purpose. LOL

Quote:
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.

Chief Joseph, Nez Perce Tribe
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri November 4th,2005, 08:59 PM   #6
Evan
Guide

that was its intended use, exspecialy when thats all i had on hand and i wanted to keep shooting ground squrels.

but normaly prying isnt any knives intended use. but in pinch that use can be something a knife would normaly be intended for.

knives have so many uses.

i have report on the ats-34 mini alpha knife. dang good one at that.

i used it toe feild dress my deer, skin quarter and bone, knife was sliceing like champ. even used it to score bone so i could break it. the knifes size is also great. i also have the bigger ats34 alpha knife and didnt care so much for its size and strickly used little alpha to get everything done i needed done.

i think its the best knife i have for hunting.

Evan
Old Sat December 10th,2005, 06:39 AM   #7
raywooster
Prolific Hunter
Great White Hunter

raywooster will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to raywooster

Ruler:I agree we should use tools for their intended purpose,so this is what I carry,A knife for prying,aknife for cutting wood,aknife for fighting,a knife for cleaning fish aknife for cleaning small game,a knife for cleaning medium game,a knife for cleaning big game,a knife for hammering on small things,aknife for hammering on big things,a dull knife a sharp knife,a knife I can use as a wrench,and a spare knife in case the others dont work.Carrying these is quite a load along with my survival gear,5lbs of jerkey and 2 sixpacks of budlite,but I just go slower. wooray.
raywooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed December 14th,2005, 10:44 AM   #8
GregH

GregH is on a distinguished road

Evan,
You really opened a can of worms with this question. I think for most of us, now this is just my opinion, that D-2 or S30s the best compromise considering toughness and edge holding.
The Buck article was good as far as it goes. One must remember that most average knife blanks from most large companies like Buck are blanked with a die. As the steel progresses to the tool steels they must be blanked by laser or such. The S30 is the only good steel Buck uses, their mostly being a 425HC I believe.
The heat treating process is also integral to the knifes ability to do what a knife does. Bob Dozier is a master of D-2 but will use S30 also.
S30 was designed to incrementally step up edgeholding and such over the most used steels. The high carbon and vanadium and of course the chromium conbine to make it pretty much the best of the affordable steels. As some steels have more vanadium and carbon, they become harder to blank and finish. They wear out grinding equipment.
By the way, Paul Bos, the heat treater for Buck is and has been a pre-eminent heat treater for years.
Get a good knife of good steel, but to sharpen some of this good steel Mr. Dozier gave me some good advise. Use diamond stones. Use a marker to get the bevels even. Start coarse and finish with a fine stone. It takes time to sharpen free hand but it works.
The vanadium enriched steels to me , with the diamond stones, quickly develop a toothy aggresssive edge.
Enough of my ranting.
Thse are my views and I may get flamed for expressing them. I own knives from custom and companies like Buck in D-2, ATS-34,154CM,440C. I have found the D-2 and S30 to be the best for my uses.
Nuff Said
GregH
GregH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed December 14th,2005, 11:04 AM   #9
Jerry
Great White Hunter

Jerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Jerry Send a message via AIM to Jerry Send a message via Yahoo to Jerry Send a message via Skype™ to Jerry

Welcome to HuntSeek GregH.

Glad to have ya here.

Quote:
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.

Chief Joseph, Nez Perce Tribe
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu December 15th,2005, 08:22 AM   #10
GregH

GregH is on a distinguished road

Thanks Jerry
GregH is offline   Reply With Quote