HuntSeek Forums  

Go Back   HuntSeek Forums > HuntSeek Hunting Forums > Trapping

Old Fri December 12th,2003, 09:15 PM   #1
Bill Yox
Guide
Hunter

Bill Yox is on a distinguished road
Default Anti-freeze Coyote And Fox Sets?

How are you guys keeping your sets from freezing? Im asking what you guys are having good results with, not just something you heard of. Anyone still trapping? By the way, I got another male red in the yard today!
Bill Yox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat December 13th,2003, 03:19 PM   #2
tcoop
Guide
So Great and Old I'm grey

tcoop is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to tcoop

Hi Bill,

Way to go on the fox.

I use rock salt. However, I've never got a K9 though. The problem with it is that it leaves the area around the set looking wet, even when the rest of the area isn't. I have had 2 step on the jaw of the trap, and I have a buddy that got 2 coyote last year using salt.

tcoop

Old Sat December 13th,2003, 10:23 PM   #3
Bill Yox
Guide
Hunter

Hey Coop...I got another male red again today after that one yesterday, again in the yard. Im currently mixing damp dirt with drying salt and some sand. I learned this years ago but never tried it, but then was told this again by Kevin Kishel. Hes right, it seems to work well. I was using the buckwheat hulls but theyd still freeze up after the daytime thaw and nighttime freeze. Now we are getting snow, so I dont mind if the salt doesnt allow the snow to build up too much. All these fox have been caught in 7 sets within 200 yards of eachother in my yard. Thats 1 grey, 1 coyote and 11 reds. This was my first coyote after many near misses. Im just worried that the salt is not the best, or that theyll smell it, etc. Im happy with the last two days catch, but still wonder if theres a better way.
Old Wed December 31st,2003, 04:31 PM   #4
reddyred
Hunter
Hunter

reddyred is on a distinguished road

this topic may be stale but i thought it was worth a line or two. i live in western maryland. about 10 miles to my southeast lives the best fox trapper this side of the mississippi. you all know who he is or have heard the name. when i asked him this very question not more than 4 days ago he told me to use anti-freeze crystals, one tablespoon mixed with your sifted dirt. the fields out here right now are damp not snow covered anymore, and overnight the ground freezes and stays frozen until around mid morning when it thaws. the crystals are keeping the set soil damp through the night. from my personal experience i first used an anti-freeze powder mixed with damp dirt. this does not work. i ended up with some #2 victors frozen so stiff you could step on the pan pry up the dog and the jaws didnt move at all. im guessing the powder is meant as a treatment to bone dry dirt pre-mixed and taken to the set. the crystals however i am mixing at the set with the damp soil dug up from the dirthole. i usually dont "bed" my traps at dirtholes because of the type i use but i have been lining the bottom of the bed and inner jaws with chopped up field grass( works like stoes cover hulls ), plus i dont need as much dirt then to cover the trap.
reddyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu January 1st,2004, 08:18 PM   #5
Bill Yox
Guide
Hunter

Reddyred, I was using grass under the trap and salt mixed with dry dirt and sand, but the grass began to rot, if you can believe that one! We have been getting teens, then rain, then freezing, snow, etc etc. Nothing short of rebedding every couple of days has worked for me. I just bought the crystals today, but to be honest, those big white flakes dont look like theyll do the job and blend in. I wanna wax some dirt for next year, but Im worried about how to store it all summer so it doesnt clump up. Boy I miss October, long hair be damned! hahaha!
Old Fri January 2nd,2004, 05:24 PM   #6
reddyred
Hunter
Hunter

reddyred is on a distinguished road

if the grass you are using for bedding is green its going to smell up the set and get slimy also. i use dead browned field grass, hay and hollow reed grass will freeze. the anti-freeze crystal i use is by leggetts. it looks identical to rock salt except it is pure white. if your crystal is too big to pass through your sifter youll have to sift some dirt and add crystals in layers, but very thin layers so you have a good mix. remember as long as the soil stays damp its not frozen and its business as usual. and i think you are on the right track with the dirt/salt/sand mixture, at least you are experimenting and thats what it takes, but i think you can simplify with equal if not better results. heres a trick for you..mix your antifreeze agent with some soil just as you would at the set, then put it in your refrigerator freezer overnight. if it freezes you know to add more antifreeze.
reddyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri January 1st,2010, 05:25 PM   #7
Jerry
Great White Hunter

Jerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Jerry Send a message via AIM to Jerry Send a message via Yahoo to Jerry Send a message via Skype™ to Jerry
Default Re: Anti-freeze Coyote And Fox Sets?

So are you using the anti-freeze crystals to get the ground clear for the set? I'm just not sure what you are trying to achieve.

Quote:
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.

Chief Joseph, Nez Perce Tribe
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote