HuntSeek Forums  

Go Back   HuntSeek Forums > Guns & Knives > Firearms, Ammunition and Reloading

Old Fri January 25th,2013, 03:29 AM   #1
tuck2
Senior Hunter
Qualified Hunter

tuck2 has a spectacular aura abouttuck2 has a spectacular aura about
Default 17 Hornet and Win 17 Super Mag RF

Since retireing fifteen years ago I have ben trying out new varmint cartridges as the have come out. Prairie dogs get muzzle blast smart so Iv tryed out the 17 HM2, 17 HMR, 17 Fireball, 204 Ruger, and 221 Fireball varmint rifles. I will get a CZ 17 Hornet rifle when they become available . At times I dont feel like setting down and reloading the amount of ammo it takes to shoot prairie dogs so I also plan an trying out the new Winchester 17 Super Mag rimfire rifle. In the spring when the prairie dog pups first come out there is plenty of shooting within the ranges of rimfire rifles.
tuck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri January 25th,2013, 08:17 PM   #2
CSA
Great White Hunter
Grey Bearded Hunter

CSA is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 17 Hornet and Win 17 Super Mag RF

Sounds like a plan to me.
Old Sun November 3rd,2013, 03:22 PM   #3
sqweeker

I,v had the chance to put a few hundred rounds through the new 17 super mag,and I would wait till they get some things worked out.At 100 yrd.the bullets roam around the bull like a blind coyote,the barrel heats up as fast as a toaster and the stock feels like it was made in a toy factory.The 17 hornet which I just got is a varmint hunters dreammmm.10 rounds after I opened the box it came in I was printing 1/4" groups.(mod. 25 walking varm.)
Old Sun November 3rd,2013, 05:00 PM   #4
CSA
Great White Hunter
Grey Bearded Hunter

CSA is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the fourm, when you have a chance to update this please do I would love to hear what you think .
Old Mon November 4th,2013, 09:27 PM   #5
tuck2
Senior Hunter
Qualified Hunter

I have a back order for the CZ Varmint 17 Hornet rifle. I have ammo, reloading dies , new cases, and 4-16 X 42 MM AO scope, and rifle sling.. This is the longest time I have ever waited for a rifle.
Old Thu November 7th,2013, 07:00 PM   #6
sqweeker

sqweeker is on a distinguished road

Since I shot up all my factory 17 hornet ammo,it was time to have some fun.Having no powder they call for in 17 hornet,I went old school.Pull apart factory round and see whats inside.You will find 12.5gr.Hornady Superformance????????That has a burn rate about the same as H4831 or IMR 4350 ?????
Thats a long way from Lil,gun or H4198.
DO NOT PLAY WITH 17 HORNET LOADS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
After a little testing I found fine powder like H-380,Ram shot TAC,H-322,Benchmark could all produce 1" groups at 100yd.You will lose 2-300 fps ,but if you cannot find Lil,gun.My honey loads were 12.5gr TAC,rem.7 -1/2 primer OAL.1.738
and 12.0gr H-380.These loads showed no high preasure at all.
REMEMBER SAFTY FIRST
sqweeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri November 8th,2013, 06:32 PM   #7
sqweeker

sqweeker is on a distinguished road

After I posted those loads I was useing in my 17 hornet,I saw I never gave the bullet I was useing.
That would be a 25g Hornady V-Max. I have also learned primer depth is critical.
Back to the 17 super mag,there is a thumb nail protruding from the trigger assembly that aids the case ejection.This is made from some sort of pot metal,my friends snapped off after less than 500 rounds.Now you shoot,turn gun on side and shake to eject??????
sqweeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat November 9th,2013, 02:12 AM   #8
tuck2
Senior Hunter
Qualified Hunter

I don't know if CZ or Ruger will make a rifle chambered for the Winchester 17 Super Mag RF cartridge but I will not get the Savage brand rifle. --- I have CCI, Federal, and Remington small rifle primers, and Lil Gun powder on hand for reloading 20 Gr V Max bullets in the 17 Hornet case. I ll try 1680 powder in the 17 H case whenever I get some. I don't plan on reloading the 25 Gr bullet in a 17 Hornet but have some on hand for my 17 Fireball and 17 Rem rifles.. I m somewhat of a 17 caliber fan and also have a 17 HM2, and 17 HMR rifles for shooting prairie dogs.