Go Back   HuntSeek Forums > Guns & Knives > Firearms, Ammunition and Reloading

Old Sat December 18th,2004, 01:54 PM   #1
Evan
Guide
So Great and Old I'm grey

Evan will become famous soon enoughEvan will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Evan
Default What Turn Of Events Today

low and behold. i got my 300win that i wanted and was talking about before hunting season this year. except for it isnt a #1 like i had planned on it being.

i decided today that with two 22/250s i didnt need the 204. i had set of cheap rings to toss on it and threw the simmons aetec on just for show hoping to get the 350 i payed for just the rifle. i had plans to throw the scope away anyways.

guess what i got for it. ??????????? the sticker on the 300win was $350. so i was like how bout we do a straight trade. low and behold the owner did it but i dont think he wanted to very bad. im happy.

i now have 300win, that ive wanted farily bad ever since i shot those few this summer. i dont know what kinda glass ill mount. but i just may go with alittle more powerfull glass say 4-12 or 4.5-14. but ill worry bout that later.

the rifle is in pretty good shape and shipped from rugers plant sometime in 1990. 10 years younger than my 22/250.

i didnt realize it but today found out ruger made tang safety models up to 92. so there should be more of them out there then i thought.

Evan
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun December 19th,2004, 01:35 AM   #2
rojo36
Great White Hunter
Grey Bearded Hunter

rojo36 is on a distinguished road

Congrats on your new gun Evan . I have that gun in the Mark II
rojo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun December 19th,2004, 05:43 PM   #3
Evan
Guide

thanks rojo.

i wont shoot it for awhile but i may load some difrent loads to try today. a freind of mine that i steel all my reloading stuff from has bullets powder and dies. he relay helps me out alot when it comes to learning about loading and rifles in general
Old Mon December 20th,2004, 10:58 PM   #4
rojo36
Great White Hunter
Grey Bearded Hunter

Evan what are you going to shoot in your 300 ? I'm using the 165 gr Barnes XFB in mine and have been getting great accuracy for a production gun . I just rescoped it with a Bushnell Elite 3200 in 5X15X50 . When I sighted it in at 100 yds my best group was close to a half inch but I'm going to move it out to 300 yds and see what it will do then . Rojo
Old Tue December 21st,2004, 07:09 AM   #5
Evan
Guide

i dont know yet.

probly 165-168's

ive been lookin into all the bullets. barnes seem to have the highest BC with hornadys 168 amx 2nd at .495 i thought the 180gr bullets would be higher but they arent so ill probly stick to the 165 68s. for alittle less recoil

i havent checked into siera or the the others yet.
Old Tue December 28th,2004, 02:19 AM   #6
rojo36
Great White Hunter
Grey Bearded Hunter

Evan what is it you like the tang safety or the adjustable triggers on the Model 77. I took a new model 77 in 6mm out today and the first thing I did was adjust the trigger . To bad they went to the mark II trigger , its fixable but so much easier with the model 77. I was just breaking it in today but still pretty accurate with a 3# trigger . Rojo
Old Tue December 28th,2004, 11:54 PM   #7
Evan
Guide

Rojo

im actualy starting to dislike the m77 triggers, my m77 22/250 is so dang finicky, i realy like the tang safety its is so axseible from about any shooting position, and looks 100 times better than the new rugers safety.

one of the best triggers i have is my m77 mkII 2506, i stoned this trigger to 3lbs, its so crisp youd think its lighter.

however the same tang model ruger 300win was breeze to adjust. the 22/250 needs some stoneing or a new trigger altogether to be what i want it to be. i get it set were i want were its feels good to me and is safe. then i dry fire the heck out of it. with spent case in the chamber. it for some reason starts very good the trigger holds when i slap the bolt shut was hard as i can but after dry fireing it begins to let loose, get to a point were i cant close the bolt without the trigger tripping. this trigger i cant even make heavier now, its unsafe to say the least. guess thats what i get for mesn with it. im gona order timney to replace rugers trigger.
Old Wed December 29th,2004, 01:39 AM   #8
rojo36
Great White Hunter
Grey Bearded Hunter

Evan what model is it that you need the trigger for ? I have a trigger out of a Mark II that I replaced with a Timney if you need it . Rojo
Old Thu December 30th,2004, 08:12 AM   #9
Evan
Guide

its a markII

i want to try timney just for kicks anf grins
Old Thu December 30th,2004, 01:32 PM   #10
rojo36
Great White Hunter
Grey Bearded Hunter

EVAN

I have them both ways and find I prefer the Timney trigger . Be sure and save the spring out of your Mark II trigger because sometimes the spring that comes with the Timney is to light . I had to use the heavy spring out of the Mark II to get it up to 3 #. I just changed the spring in another Mark II to a lighter spring and it dropped 2# off of the pull ,polished and took a bit off the sear and good to go . Rojo