HuntSeek Forums  

Go Back   HuntSeek Forums > Guns & Knives > Firearms, Ammunition and Reloading

Old Thu March 12th,2009, 06:48 PM   #1
scott
Senior Hunter
Qualified Hunter

scott is on a distinguished road
Default Best varmint Wildcat

I think I'm ready to build a custom rifle. I thought I'd ask what everyones thoughts were on the wildcat variety. I have a 22-250,204, and a 250 Sav. I was thinking along the lines of the 22-250AI, 22 CHeeta, and 6mmAI. I'm leaning towards the 6mmAI for long range chucks, although the longest distance I have to shoot at the moment is around 600yrds. This is without saying that I won't or can't find someplace else in the future. Let me know what you think. Scott
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue March 17th,2009, 07:31 PM   #2
Ridge Runner
Senior Hunter
Qualified Hunter

Ridge Runner is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best varmint Wildcat

you'll get the best barrel life out of the 6mm AI, go fast twist and shoot high BC heavy for caliber bullets, the 105 a-max and 105 bergers are good. but you'll be better off with a long action for the 6mm AI build.
RR
Ridge Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed March 18th,2009, 06:48 PM   #3
scott
Senior Hunter
Qualified Hunter

Thanks RR, I was thinking more along the lines of a 75 gr. V-max. I was checking out Richards custom rifles web page. Look at the right side of his home page and click on Richard's favorite hog rifle.
I really like the set up he's got, although I haven't convinced myself I want to pay the dollar amout he's asking to build one. I know I won't be getting the velocities he's getting with a Rem 700 action. I don't think it would withstand the pressures. I have about $2000.00 set aside so far for the build. This is what I want as far as components: H-S Synthetic varmint stock,Kreiger barrel, Stiller viper action,Jewel trigger, and Leopold scope. I'm probbably over what I have saved already,but I'm in no hurry. I hope I'll have it done by spring of 2010. Later, Scott
Old Fri March 20th,2009, 07:41 PM   #4
Ridge Runner
Senior Hunter
Qualified Hunter

thats your choice, but let me add that in the world of long range BC will outrun velocity every time, in bullet drop and especialy in wind drift lets run some numbers.
Lets compare the 75 gr v-max (BC/ .33) at a mv of 3600 fps from a 6mm AI against the 105 gr berger (BC/.556) at 3200 fps from the same rifle both sighted in at 200 yards they are both -53" at 600
at 750 the 75 gr is -107" vs. 101 for the 105
at 1000 the 75 gr is -271", the 105 is -226"
now check the wind drift
600 the 75 gr is 33.2" in a 10 mph crosswind, the 105 is off 20.7"
750 the 75 is 47.9" while the 105 is off 33.8"
at the 1000 yard mark its 115.9" for the 75 and 65.3 off for the 105, thats not counting the big difference in retained energy. thats why I always say go heavy for long range. just thought you'd like to know why I choose what I use.
RR
Old Sat March 21st,2009, 10:00 AM   #5
scott
Senior Hunter
Qualified Hunter

Ok, now you got me thinking. Yes the heaver bullet and higher BC would be better at long range, no doubt.

I'm looking for a bullet that will have good fragmentation for chucks. That's why I mentioned a V-Max style bullet. The heaver bullets don't come in varmint/ballistic tips unless you go with a A-Max style. I don't want pass throughs or kripples, I want to see them blow up.

What bullets would you recomend for the effect I'm looking for without loosing too much BC and drop? Would the bullets and weights you mentioned before still be your picks?

Nothing is set in stone, I'm still throwing ideas around. I'll do my research and lots of it before I make a finnal decision.

Scott
Old Sat March 21st,2009, 12:45 PM   #6
Ridge Runner
Senior Hunter
Qualified Hunter

Scott,

I been doin this long range thing almost as long as I can remember. if you wanna blow up groundhogs, that takes MV plain and simple, there is no bullet that is explosive past 400 yards, because no cartridge can give you a 3200 fps+ impact velocity at that range. the light more fragmentile bullets shed the velocity to be explosive and the heavies are below they're maximum performance speeds, best you can get is a happy medium there isn't a varmint bullet made that will not exit a groundhog at 600+ yards from any cartridge. but before you make your decision this is a fact you should know.
It is not possible to overstabilize a bullet by spinning it too fast from a fast twist barrel, so you could get a fast twist barrel and shoot some 75-90 gr bullets with an almost unmeasureable decrease in accuracy, yes almost imeasureable, with a good mic. you may be able to measure the difference, but won't see it hunting. Plus, the additional spin of a fast twist will enhanse terminal performance, ie: bullet spin also helps with expansion.
now as for bullets, the a-max's expand very well at long range, and like the v-max they are explosive at high velocity impacts.
The berger vld's are designed to penetrate 4" then open quickly so they are a viable choice for hunting also. when you want controlled expansion for larger game the BT's and the scirrocco's do well.
just stay away from the lapua scenars and sierra match kings for hunting, they are very poor performers.
RR

Last edited by Ridge Runner; Sat March 21st,2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old Thu March 26th,2009, 06:08 PM   #7
scott
Senior Hunter
Qualified Hunter

RR, Thanks for the great info. I'll be sure to put it in my trusty note book for the near future. Sorry it took so long to get back to ya, I had alot going on this passed week. If you can think of anything else you would suggest to add to my build let me know.

Scott
Old Sun November 1st,2009, 08:52 AM   #8
Evan
Guide
So Great and Old I'm grey

Evan will become famous soon enoughEvan will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Evan

im with ridge runner on this one.

back when i started playing this game i loved and thought the 40gr nosler bts and 75gr vmaxes were the coolest thing ever and they were fun forawhile as i vaporized coyotes and small avarmits and close range

but i began to shoot farther and farther noticeing windrift was my obstical to over come. out west it blows alot and alot of times a 10mph wind is pretty darn calm.

in my 2506 i now load 115 gr berger vlds and 115 nosler bts i shot a ton over paper getting to know these two bullets and figureing out wich powders the 25 liked to burn while pushing them. but my skill has goten much better and rifle even saw some improvements along the way like slicked up trigger, fully floated barrel and glass bedding. rock chucks better beware even way out there. both loads have been used in the 600 yd range and have cleanly killed rock chucks and coyotes. even a few long range badgers and badgers r tuff critters.

berger bullet vid

to your question
i think i would build a fast twist 22 on either the 220 swift case or the 22/250. probly the 220 because its a littler longer and is known for good acuracy after improveing it to 40 deg shoulder angle, but im sure the 22/250 would do just as well.
id do fast twist 1/7 and push the heaviest bergerd
this make a very fun varmit and big game rifle,.

i would not worry about barrel life, youl get 1500-2000 rds easily

Last edited by Evan; Sun November 1st,2009 at 08:58 AM.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote