Go Back   HuntSeek Forums > Guns & Knives > Firearms, Ammunition and Reloading

Old Wed March 3rd,2010, 08:03 AM   #1
Evan
Guide
So Great and Old I'm grey

Evan will become famous soon enoughEvan will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Evan
Default getn the 220 #1 ready for varmint season

the swift does double duty lately, the last couple seasons ive swapped on the extra 3-9 leo that i have on because its much better for low light conditions for deer hunting. the swift normaly wears its 6-18 with target turrets and the leupold target dot with fine wires. very small. coyote calling and such it is mandatory to turn it down to 6 power to see the dot as soon as the sun starts dipn down or even when hideing behind clouds
it also gets loaded with barnes 53grtriple shocks for deer.

this morning i swapped it back over, getn varmit ready. the 6-18 is back on it and ill punch out a few 55gr nosler balistic tips or vmaxes and knock a few holes in paper at 100 200 and 300. i may go further. depdning on the wind. my load is if i remember right 43grs of imr4831. 36-3700fps. i push the 53gr triple shock with 42grs of imr4007ssc(supershortcut) i may try this powder first because i like how it flows through my powder thrower and it shoots pretty dang well with the tripleshock.

anyways heres pic of my varmit setup.
220 #1vt, harris pivot bipod(i love it) 6-18 vxII target. trigger is factory, everything is factory this is the only gun ive been happy with right out of the box no adjustments needed. ive punched one hole 100yds groups and 3" 300yds groups and it put 10rds in 1-1.5" through a smokn hot barrel.

my most favorite rifle . ill one day have a 2506 in this exack same rifle.

sorry if this doesnt fit in the varmit forumn not sure if it goes here or the firearms forumn, probly either or.

also on side note i was just lucky enough to have aquired a 77/22 hornet. walnut blued model. it is beat up has cheap scope on it didnt have magazine. i just ran down to the gunshop grabbed a magazin, a box of 25 hornady 35gr ammo. ill put my 3-9 leo on it then go punch paper.
you know how fast ideas travel through my head. im already thinkn i might search out a gunsmith that has the K hornet dies and hive this improved then give 45gr triple shocks a run aswell as heavier varmit bullets 40 45grains. ill have to research and see what the barrel twist is. hopn its a 1/12 or faster.

the ruger 77/22 hornet has been on my want list for a long time. i feel this is what i should have got instead of mesn with the 17hmr ill get dies get all geard up to do some load dp for this little booger in the next few weeks.

Evan

Last edited by Evan; Wed March 3rd,2010 at 10:44 AM.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed March 3rd,2010, 02:56 PM   #2
Evan
Guide
So Great and Old I'm grey

Evan will become famous soon enoughEvan will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Evan
Default Re: getn the 220 #1 ready for varmint season

got the 220 dialed in . couple shots at 20yds then steped back to 100 and fired this 3 shot group

looking from the target back to where i was shooting from

and the close to final group. i did after this 3 shot group bump my dial left 2 clicks

this is the 55gr nosler balistic tip and 43grs of imr4831, seated to just barely nudge the lands. ive shot groups smaller and bigger then this. i feel this is plenty tight enough for all the varmiting and hunting i do with the rifle. way inside minute of groundsqurel and rockchuck to way out there
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote