HuntSeek Forums  

Go Back   HuntSeek Forums > HuntSeek Hunting Forums > Bow Hunting & Fishing

Old Mon June 23rd,2014, 06:57 AM   #1
Mossyhorns
So Great and Old I'm grey

Mossyhorns is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Mossyhorns
Default EHD-CWD-IDNR Sharpshooting Deer

The three in combanation has decimated our deer heard in my area. IDNR has been sharpshooting deer to drop the numbers of deer per square mile, But CWD and now EHD has also taken it's toll on the heards. And very notibally so, As last deer season i never encountered a mature deer while on stand hunting. And talking to nieghboring farms, found the same results. There just is'nt many deer left, and what we have seen was young deer.
I have trouble shooting yearlings, unable to tell the gender of the deer i refuse to shoot one that small. I even resorted to puting food plots in the ruffs of a golf course to help draw them out this year to help get a count of what is left in the area i hunt. Trail cams will tell.I have been letting bucks walk in hopes of getting a few nice shooters over the past 4 yrs. I feel like i am starting all over again from square one.
Old Mon June 23rd,2014, 07:21 AM   #2
Mossyhorns

Default Re: EHD-CWD-IDNR Sharpshooting Deer

I found this buck last Sept 2013 dead on the Rock River bank. A call to IDNR to report what i believed was EHD. After test results were back , confirmed that it indeed had died from EHD (Blue tongue disease). This was the first confirmed case in Ogle county IL.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0908130918.jpg (31.0 KB, 1 views)
Old Mon June 23rd,2014, 07:37 AM   #3
CSA
Great White Hunter
Grey Bearded Hunter

CSA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossyhorns View Post
The three in combanation has decimated our deer heard in my area. IDNR has been sharpshooting deer to drop the numbers of deer per square mile, But CWD and now EHD has also taken it's toll on the heards. And very notibally so, As last deer season i never encountered a mature deer while on stand hunting. And talking to nieghboring farms, found the same results. There just is'nt many deer left, and what we have seen was young deer.
I have trouble shooting yearlings, unable to tell the gender of the deer i refuse to shoot one that small. I even resorted to puting food plots in the ruffs of a golf course to help draw them out this year to help get a count of what is left in the area i hunt. Trail cams will tell.I have been letting bucks walk in hopes of getting a few nice shooters over the past 4 yrs. I feel like i am starting all over again from square one.
Good to see you, I have four big bucks that are coming into my food plot. I won't know how big the racks will be for a while yet. You are welcome to come and sit my stand.
Old Fri July 4th,2014, 05:23 PM   #4
Mossyhorns

Thanks CSA would love to come hunt your state some day. I never thought our deer heards would dwindle to these levels. There are alot of upset hunters around here. My neighboring farmers/hunters practice QMD also i know most of them personally. They said they have the same problem last year. Just wasn't seeing any deer size or numbers at all. Don P said his son, wife and himself sat the whole first shotgun season w/o seeing a single deer. He is about 2 mile to the north of me.Minerts are directly behind me the shot small does the said seen no shooter bucks all bow and gun season. so it really isn't good, and going to take some time to bring the numbers and sizes back. Not something you really want to think about going into bow season this year you know !!
Old Fri December 30th,2016, 01:44 PM   #5
Mossyhorns

IDNR is still knockin down our deer numbers in areas. They find a case of CWD and the eradicate all deer in 3sq mile dia form the area the animal was taken. Its frustrating when you have only seen one deer since oct 1st. And im not shooting any does now.