HuntSeek Forums  

Go Back   HuntSeek Forums > HuntSeek Hunting Forums > Waterfowl

Waterfowl It it swims and fly talk about here.

Old Wed March 23rd,2005, 09:09 PM   #11
Myk
Great White Hunter
Grey Bearded Hunter

Myk is on a distinguished road
Default Goose hunting, what do I need?

There's a lot of good reading. I just don't pay attention to field hunting for geese because I don't have any fields to hunt. There's probably more to read about hunting for them in fields than there is about hunting them over water.
Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed April 27th,2005, 10:31 AM   #12
Wildcat
Hunter
Hunter

Wildcat is on a distinguished road
Default Goose hunting, what do I need?

Hell we used to goose hunt in the prairies, just headed out before daylight with a 12 guage mossey pump, no decoys, nothin. Get in a good spot of swamp grass where they are known to be flying up, and come daylight fly at er. Now we were unsophisticated high school age redneck farm kids. Cost was gas in the car(often from dad's big tank a purple gas) and umm a few of dad's shotgun shells, nothing more. We had a blast and got our geese. Oh ya, once the hunt was over for the morning there was the beer cost..........hell it was noon somewhere :D Mostly shot with 2 3/4 inch shells, nothin fancy at all. @black
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri November 11th,2005, 10:08 PM   #13
Jerry
Great White Hunter

Jerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Jerry Send a message via AIM to Jerry Send a message via Yahoo to Jerry Send a message via Skype™ to Jerry
Default Re: Goose hunting, what do I need?

phishy - did you get to get out and do any goose hunting.

I do know the bigger the decoy the better chance of getting them to come in. Someone used to use a call that was really good for calling them in. I'm going to have to do some research to find which one it was.

Quote:
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.

Chief Joseph, Nez Perce Tribe
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed November 16th,2005, 11:34 AM   #14
Merle
Senior Hunter
Qualified Hunter

Merle is on a distinguished road

Phishy,
I know I'm several months late.*!@! You started this thread several months ago and I did not catch it.*!@! I have a little different opinion.*!@! I suggest you start by doing a lot of scouting and spend as little money as you can get by with until you find out if you like watefowling.(you will)*!@! If you have camo and a shotgun you just need to check your local regs. and get a duck stamp and get a couple of boxes (50 rds.) of Hevi-shot or Hevi-steel (more expensive than steel shot) in BB size.*!@! I suggest the Hevi-shot or Hevi-steel because you will be pass shooting, the distances are usually greater than shooting over decoys. By following the flights of birds you will find the fields where they are feeding, they usually go out to feed in the early morning.*!@! Once you find their feeding fields get permission to hunt from the land owner. Getting permission to hunt from the land owner usually will be easer than hunting other types of game, because around where I live (Willamette valley, Oregon) They do a lot of crop damage. After getting permission to hunt, position yourself in a fence row out of sight and wait for them to pass over you.*!@! You will need to repeat the scouting every couple of days as once the geese have been shot at a couple of times they will be looking for other fields to feed in, but keep your eyes on the fields where you have gained hunting access within a couple of weeks other flocks will start using that area also.
*!@! :) :laugh:
Merle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed January 18th,2006, 01:29 AM   #15
Spreafico
Hunter
Hunter

Spreafico is on a distinguished road

We always use small white trash bags for decoys just tie a knot on one end and stick it in the ground.This only works for snows and specks,but its cheap.
Spreafico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue August 16th,2011, 11:22 AM   #16
GOOSE KILLER

GOOSE KILLER is on a distinguished road

your gonna need a couple thousand dolars about a 100 decoys if a flag a blind goose call 3and a half shot you NEED to know how to hunt geese and how to call how to set up a spread just keep buying decoys and soo you will have hundreds of decoys and lots of blinds like me and you might need a big truck or trailer
GOOSE KILLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue August 16th,2011, 11:24 AM   #17
GOOSE KILLER

GOOSE KILLER is on a distinguished road

dude get some supermag decoys
GOOSE KILLER is offline   Reply With Quote