HuntSeek Forums  

Go Back   HuntSeek Forums > HuntSeek Hunting Forums > Trapping

Old Sat February 8th,2003, 05:38 PM   #1
Mossyhorns
So Great and Old I'm grey

Mossyhorns is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Mossyhorns
Default Boiling Traps

Years ago i knew of a guy that like to boil his traps in leaves,barks and such.Then set the traps and dipped them into hot wax.Then carried to the timber and placed them.

He use to get a lot of fox this way.Two grays in one day,i remember him telling me.He said he learned it from his grandfather.

I thought that was pretty neat.Boiling it kept it scent free.And the wax kept them from rusting and freezing up.
Old Sat February 8th,2003, 07:57 PM   #2
tcoop
Guide

tcoop is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to tcoop
Default Boiling Traps

Hi Mossyhorns,

I think that is the way they used to do it before they had the comercial trap die availble.

tcoop
Old Wed February 12th,2003, 06:32 PM   #3
the long ranger
Senior Hunter
Qualified Hunter

the long ranger is on a distinguished road
Default Boiling Traps

My favorite recipe for dyed traps-
*First take your shiney new traps straight to the sink. Fill the sink with the hottest water your tap will offer and add a little dish detergent. Scrub well and rinse.
*Next set up a boiling station. My personal preference is a propane camp stove with a 1gal metal bucket. Its slow since you can only do about 2 traps at a time, but still effective. *Fill the bucket up a little more than halfway with water, take displacement into consideration. Add about 1/4 cup baking soda. Add traps and boil for approx. 30 minutes (they wont be tender).
*CAREFULLY remove hot traps from boil and rinse with clean water. Set aside and continue until all traps are finished. The baking soda boil will give your traps a dull finish, almost like an etched surface.
*Fill a 5gal bucket 3/4 full of water. Add 2 cups salt and stir well. Add all traps and let set over night. The salt will help rust formation begin.
*Remove traps from salt solution.
*Traps now need some time to rust, in more humid areas they can simply be left outside hung from a line and occasionally sprayed with a squirt bottle full of water. In drier areas its best to put them in a container with a damp cloth. Moisten the cloth as needed. Make sure the enclosure is NOT air tight, oxygen speeds the formation of rust.
*In the meantime find your dye. My personal preference is walnut. Walnut husks make an incredible dye, and best of all they're free. A 5gal bucket full of walnut husks will go a long way. Longer than Ive ever needed.
*Fill the 5gal bucket 1/2 full of old walnut husks. Top off with near boiling water up to about the 3/4 full mark. Throw in about 1/2 cup of salt and mix well. The dye is ready.
*Attach some sort of wire to the rusty traps. Bailing wire works great here. Group the traps by 3 and hang into the bucket by the wire. Come back tomarrow.
*Remove the newly dyed traps and rinse with water. Air dry for the day.
Now your ready for waxing.
Theres plenty of waxes you can use,my favorite is good old fashioned canning wax. Only problem with it is its too hard for conventional methods of application. The most common way to wax a trap is to put a trap in a metal bucket full of water, heat the water till hot, place wax on top and let it melt, once the trap and wax are the same temp the trap is pulled slowly through the melted wax thats floating on the surface. You cant do that with the hard paraffin wax. It is just too brittle.
The way I do it is throw them in the oven at 250 for a few, then remove them and touch wax to the hot surface. You can get a nice even thin coat of wax with less work that way.

Wow, now the traps are ready for action. Good luck.
the long ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu January 1st,2004, 10:49 AM   #4
reddyred
Hunter
Hunter

reddyred is on a distinguished road
Default Boiling Traps

i pre-boil all NEW traps in a lye water solution. packed in a 10 gallon bucket add water and lye and simmer for an hour. then rinse them with clean water. then i let lay around for a while to rust. the pre-boiling with make them take on a fine even coating of powdery rust. salting traps will cause flaky rust and youll need to take a metal brush over them. i put trap hardware such as swivels and j hooks in the jaws before dyeing, but nails work just fine. i use logwood powder in a clean 10 gallon bucket to dye. put wire through the chain or swivel of six traps and dye 12 at a time. after 30 minutes i hang the traps to dry until all are done, then i dye the top sides of my stakes. when buying wax i always get it from a pro trapper not a supply house, this ensures your getting a good quality wax. you can tell if youve got a good wax when it takes all morning to melt down 20 lbs of it. the cheaper the wax the quicker it melts because it hasnt been refined well enough. i wax only six traps at a time for about 15 minutes AFTER the bubbling action has ceased. then i hang them to dry. i wax my stake tops also. i use a wood fire to dye and wax, i have a small u shaped fire ring with rebar as a platform for my buckets to sit on. i dont mind the extra effort it takes to keep it stoked, chopping the wood, etc.. i have the time i guess. make no mistake, trappers wax is flammable, and heating over fire takes a little more attention, but i dont light a bonfire under it, and in the event it does catch fire just put the lid on it. for heating purposes another and easier method is a propane hot water burner.
reddyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu January 1st,2004, 07:53 PM   #5
tcoop
Guide

Default Boiling Traps

I have a 15 gal. barrel that I got from an quick oil change place. It fits perfectly on my gas burner for my deep fryer. It works great and is easy to control the temp.

I dye and wax at the same time. I add the dye and wax to water and melt the wax. Add the traps and boil. Then when you pull the traps out slowly, you get a nice even coat of wax.

tcoop
Old Thu January 1st,2004, 08:27 PM   #6
Bill Yox
Guide
Hunter

Bill Yox is on a distinguished road
Default Boiling Traps

Personally, I dont care for the water/wax method. Even though its more wax, I prefer to go solid wax and dip them. You cant hardly tell they have any wax on them when you pull them up, but its there. You guys mention stakes...arent you using the cable anchors? I LOVE them, and theyll even hold coyotes. I caught another one, about a fifty lb male today. Im thrilled as this is my first year getting coyotes. If I could only get those sets to stay thawed now...

By the way, thank you guys, for posting here. I enjoy talking trapping. Im never bragging when I speak of my catches, rather just enjoy sharing it with someone. The taxidermy site is where I belong, but its never really hopping...
Bill Yox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu January 1st,2004, 08:51 PM   #7
tcoop
Guide

Default Boiling Traps

Hum, sounds like bragging to me, how 'bout you guys? rasp) Keep it up though I sure enjoy hearing it. Some day maybe I will be able to figure out those K-9's and do some braggin of my own.

tcoop