HuntSeek Forums  

Go Back   HuntSeek Forums > HuntSeek Hunting Forums > Rabbits, Squirrels and Such

Old Sun January 1st,2006, 01:14 AM   #1
Merle
Senior Hunter
Qualified Hunter

Merle is on a distinguished road
Default No Rabbits

A friend I go to church with has two young boys ages 11 & 13. He gave the boys each a new 10/22 for Christmas so he asked me if there was something he and his boys could hunt for this time of the year. I took him and his boys over the mountains (cascade range) to Central Oregon on the Crooked River National grasslands near Madras, Oregon. When we got there, the wind was blowing hard and it was raining and cold. We made one long drive through the sage brush, each of us fanned out about 25 yards apart, but we only kicked one rabbit out. I was concerned about the weather, for the boys sake and there not being many rabbits out, so I had brought along my AK-47 just for that reason. We went down into a draw, set up some targets and the boys got to shoot their new 10/22's along with shooting several 30 round mags threw the AK, after which they said with a big smile on thier faces, "I know what I'm going to ask my Dad for for next CHRISTmas." Even though the Rabbits did not cooperate the boys still had a good time. The trip sure brought back memories. 49 years ago when I was 10 years old my Dad used to take me to the National Grasslands, Jack Rabbit hunting. :D :laugh:
Merle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun January 1st,2006, 04:21 PM   #2
tcoop
Guide
So Great and Old I'm grey

tcoop is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to tcoop
Default Re: No Rabbits

"........the boys still had a good time. "

Way to go Merle. That is what It's all about. Get the young 1s involved so our sport continues into tomorrow.

tcoop
Old Mon January 2nd,2006, 09:22 PM   #3
Jerry
Great White Hunter

Jerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Jerry Send a message via AIM to Jerry Send a message via Yahoo to Jerry Send a message via Skype™ to Jerry
Default Re: No Rabbits

Sounds like you did those boys something they will never forget. Just like when I used to hunt with my father-in-law before he died. We went hunting many times, didn't always get anything but we had fun together.

Quote:
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.

Chief Joseph, Nez Perce Tribe
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote